Rich, moist, sweet, and bursting with flavor, this recipe makes enough for 3 loaves.
Eat one now and freeze the others for later!
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup lightly salted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar (light brown is ok)
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 very ripe bananas, mashed
(optional) 2 cups chopped and toasted nuts such as walnuts or pecans. Reserve 1/4 cup.
Preheat oven to 350(F). Grease and flour 3 loaf pans.
1. Sift together dry ingredients. Set aside.
2. Cream butter, cream cheese, and both sugars til light and fluffy.
3. Add vanilla, then eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.
4. Stir mashed bananas into mixture (bananas should be mashed before adding to mixture).
5. Add dry ingredients gradually, stirring until just incorporated into the batter.
6. (Optional)Fold 1 3/4 cups nuts into batter.
7. Pour batter into greased and floured loaf pans.
8. (Optional) Sprinkle toasted nuts and/or turbinado sugar on top, for a sweet, crunchy topping. 9. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Different ovens and different sizes and types of loaf pans will require shorter or longer baking times.
10. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack until completely cooled. Freezes well.